Magic Of Silver: Unfolding A ‘Silver’ Tale

Growing up in a middle class family, we invested more in silver than gold. Silver ornaments have always been the traditional form in which silver is put to use. I remember, as a child I used to see my mother be all dolled up from head to toe, wearing silver earrings, nose pins, anklets, necklaces. Wrapping a silk saree around her perfect body shape, she looked like a Bollywood diva of 90’s. I clearly remember how badly I craved to own a silver collection like hers. They say that all that glitters isn’t gold. Yes, silver is as charming and sparkling as gold. Every woman is not fortunate enough to adorn herself with expensive metals such as gold or diamond. Silver jewellery holds immense significance in the Indian traditions and cultures. My Mom once told me that she has acquired most of her pieces of jewellery from my nanny. She further told me that my maternal grandmother inherited the pieces from my Mom’s grand grandmother. I guess that this is the beauty of jewellery that it can be passed from one generation to another. Therefore, it is said to make a right choice when you’re investing in jewellery. It is not just about you but also about the forthcoming generations of your family. 

Often, as a kid, I used to sneak into my mother’s  room and steal her adorable pair of silver anklets and other accessories to pair them up with my favourite white satin frock. I knew that my Mom stored her exquisite accessories  in a small closet besides her bedside in airtight containers. I didn’t understand then why she was so obsessed with her silver but eventually as puberty hit me and I blossomed I too practised the same ritual of keeping my silver adornments in small containers where they neither cracked nor tangled with other items of my collection. For some, jewellery may be any other piece of metal but for me and my mother, jewellery was an emotion, a feeling that we could never put into words. Like a father gives away the most expensive jewellery on his daughter’s wedding, there is a thousand unsaid and unregistered emotions behind it. A father always wishes to see her little princess as the queen of the whole world. There is a special bond we share with gemstones, gold and of course, silver.
 
Time changed but one thing that helped us survive in adverse conditions was my mother’s silver jewellery. Yes, you might be surprised to hear this but there is all truth behind it. Over a decade ago, my father incurred losses in his garment business which was the source of bread and butter of three persons, me, and my parents. I was too young, studying in a private school to which I had got admissions on the based on a scholarship test. All of a sudden, our small world fell apart. But my mother refused to give up, on the next evening, she approached an acquaintance who was a jeweller by profession and sold out the traditional ornaments to him. Though the price she earned from the deal was enough for us to survive for a week or so. As days passed by, things got settled. One evening, my father came early from work with a red potli in his hands. I couldn’t figure out what he held in his hands with pride on his face. However, when he handed over the bag to my mother who was engrossed in household chores, I did. The lost smile on her face was back as she was united with her long lost love, silver earrings and silver anklets. Silver is powerful and has a shine brighter than the stars.

Hope you found this blog article. Feel free to connect with us for any type of jewellery advice or suggestion. 



More info : 925silverjaipur

Comments